Planning a wedding is hard work—from guest list to the choice of venue to all the tiny details. One of those not-so-insignificant details is the choice of the ceremony entrance song.
The only one thing to remember here is—it’s YOUR wedding. Choose a song you want to walk down the aisle to. It’s that simple, really.
Still, put this way, the choice might prove even more difficult seeing as there are so many songs to choose from that the fact may give you additional stress. We’ve all heard that the more choices there are the more difficult to pick just one.
Let’s take a look at some interesting classics (and some not as traditional, but still popular).
How Many Songs to Pick?
As many as you like, but they should fit properly. Otherwise, stick to the one. Even if it is your big day, don’t stress yourself out trying to pick the 10 best songs and creating a compilation. Keep it simple!
Classical/Instrumental Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
Instrumental songs are always a good choice as you can’not go wrong with any one you pick.
1 “Clair de Lune,” by Claude Debussy From the album: Clair de Lune – Single, 2014
2. "Can’t Help Falling in Love,” by The Piano Guys (Elvis cover) From the album: Can’t Help Falling in Love – Single, 2012
3. “Begin Again,” by The Piano Guys (Taylor Swift cover) From the album: The Piano Guys 2, 2013
4. “Somebody to Love,” by Vitamin String Quartet From the album: Vitamin String Quartet Performs Queen, 2004
5. “Water Music Suite: Air,” by Handel From the album: The Ultimate Classical Music Collection, 2005
6. “Forrest Gump Theme,” by Alan Silvestri From the album: Forrest Gump Soundtrack, 1994
Fun Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
1. “Here Comes the Sun,” by The Beatles From the album: Abbey Road, 1969
This one is a classic for more reasons than one. If you’re a fan of classics and the Beatles (not everyone is, we’re aware), this song might be the right choice.
Little darling, it’s been a long cold lonely winter Little darling, it feels like years since it’s been here Here comes the sun Here comes the sun, and I say/It’s all right
2. “Marry Me,” by Train From the album: Save Me, San Francisco, 2009
The title says it all. This song is an obvious choice for weddings.
Now that the weight has lifted Love has surely shifted my way Marry me Today and every day Marry me
3. “Marry You,” by Bruno Mars From the album: Doo-Wops & Hooligans, 2010
Another popular song with a VERY appropriate title.
It’s a beautiful night We’re looking for something dumb to do Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you Is it the look in your eyes, or is it this dancing juice Who cares baby I think I wanna marry you
4. “Chapel of Love,” by The Dixie Cups From the album: Chapel of Love, 1964
Love is all around, literally. This song will help you lift the spirits of everyone present.
Goin’ to the chapel and we’re gonna get married Goin’ to the chapel and we’re gonna get married Gee, I really love you And we’re gonna get married Goin’ to the chapel of love
5. “Love Someone,” by Jason Mraz From the album: Yes!, 2014
Weddings are all about your love for your partner (in most cases) so this choice seems more than obvious.
Oh, ain’t it nice tonight we’ve got each other And I am right beside you More than just a partner or a lover I’m your friend
6. “Better Together,” by Jack Johnson From the album: In Between Dreams, 2005
To underline the sense of unity, this song may just do the trick.
Love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart Like, why are we here? And where do we go? And how come it’s so hard? It’s not always easy and sometimes life can be deceiving I’ll tell you one thing, it’s always better when we’re together
R&B Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
If you’re an R&B fan or just understand that it can be the epitome of romance, here are some ideas for your big day. 1. “Halo,” by Beyoncé From the album: I Am…Sasha Fierce, 2008
Everywhere I’m looking now I’m surrounded by your embrace Baby, I can see your halo You know you’re my saving grace
2. “Giving Myself,” by Jennifer Hudson From the album: Jennifer Hudson, 2008
Oh, I’m giving myself over to you Body and soul I’m giving it over I’m giving myself over to you now
3. “Suddenly,” by Billy Ocean From the album: Suddenly, 2011
Suddenly life has new meaning to me There’s beauty up above and things we never take notice of You wake up suddenly you’re in love
4. “All of Me,” by John Legend From the album: Love in the Future, 2013
Cause all of me Loves all of you Love your curves and all your edges All your perfect imperfections Give your all to me/I’ll give my all to you
5. “Here and Now,” by Luther Vandross From the album: The Essential Luther Vandross, 2003
I look in your eyes and there I see What happiness really means The love that we share makes life so sweet Together we’ll always be This pledge of love feels so right
6. “Let’s Get Married,” by Jagged Edge From the album: The Hits, 2006
When I think about all these years we put in this relationship Who knew we’d make it this far? When I think about where we would I be if we were to just fall apart And I just can’t stand the thought of leaving you Meet me in the altar in your white dress We ain’t getting no younger, we might as well do it
Country Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
If you’re a country music fan, you can safely pick a country song for your big day. Here are some ideas:
1. “Love Like Crazy,” by Lee Brice From the album: Love Like Crazy, 2010
Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you Go to work, do your best, don’t outsmart your common sense Never let your prayin’ knees get lazy And love like crazy
2. “God Gave Me You,” by Blake Shelton From the album: Red River Blue, 2011
There’s more here than what we’re seeing A divine conspiracy That you, an angel lovely Could somehow fall for me
3. “My Best Friend,” by Tim McGraw From the album: A Place in the Sun, 1999
I never had no one that I could count on I’ve been let down so many times I was tired of hurtin’ so tired of searchin’ Til you walked into my life/It was a feelin’ I’d never known And for the first time I didn’t feel alone
4. “Cowboy Take Me Away,” by The Dixie Chicks From the album: Fly, 1999
I said, cowboy take me away Fly this girl as high as you can into the wild blue Set me free, oh, I pray Closer to heaven above and closer to you Closer to you
5. “Love of My Life,” by Sammy Kershaw From the album: 20th Century Masters – The Millennium Collection, 2003
You are the love of my life And you are the reason I’m alive And baby, baby, baby When I think of how you saved me I go crazy
6. “Me and You,” by Kenny Chesney From the album: Greatest Hits, 2000
Ordinary no, really don’t think so Not a love this true Common destiny We were meant to be Me and you
Nontraditional Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
When it comes to untraditional songs, choices are truly endless and limited by your imagination alone. Go with a favorite of you and your partners, or even just one that makes you happy—you’re about to get married, after all! But, of course, we’ll also give you some ideas—definitely don’t feel limited by them. Think about your favorite love-inspired song and you’re good to go.
1. “Reign of Love,” by Coldplay From the album: This is Where I Leave You Soundtrack, 2014
Reign of love By the church, we’re waiting Reign of love My knees go praying How I wish I’d spoken up Or we’d be carried On the reign of love
2. “Marry That Girl,” by Dirty Magic Cards From the album: Marry That Girl – Single, 2015
So honey now Take me into your loving arms Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars Place your head on my beating heart I’m thinking out loud Maybe we found love right where we are
3. “Show Me Love,” by Alicia Keys featuring Miguel From the album: Alicia, 2020
This is not the season for nobody else but us I always get wrapped up in you Baby, I'm in love
4. “Skinny Love,” by Bon Iver From the album: For Emma, Forever Ago, 2007
And I told you to be patient And I told you to be fine And I told you to be balanced And I told you to be kind And in the morning I’ll be with you But it will be a different kind And I’ll be holding all the tickets And you’ll be owning all the fines
5. “One Love,” by Bob Marley From the album: Marley (The Original Soundtrack), 2012
One love, one heart Let’s get together and feel all right As it was in the beginning (one love) So shall it be in the end (one heart) Alright, give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right Let’s get together and feel all right
6. “5 Years’ Time,” by Noah & The Whale From the album: Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down, 2008
Oh well, in five years’ time we could be walking round a zoo With the sun shining down over me and you And there’ll be love in the bodies of the elephants too And I’ll put my hand over your eyes but you’ll peek through
Christian/Gospel Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
Christian and gospel songs are not uncommon in ceremonial weddings or when the couple is religious. Here are some ideas.
1. “The Wedding Song (There is Love),” by Noel Paul Stookey From the album: The Very Best of Peter, Paul, and Mary, 1969
Well a man shall leave his mother and a woman leave her home They shall travel on to where the two shall be as one As it was in the beginning, is now until the end Woman draws her life from man and gives it back again And there’s love There is love
2. “Ave Maria,” by Céline Dion From the album: These Are Special Times, 1992
Ave Maria, maiden mild Oh, listen to a maiden’s prayer For thou canst hear amid the wild ’Tis thou, ‘tis thou canst save amid, despair
3. “Like Jesus Does,” by Eric Church From the album: Chief, 2011
I’m a long-gone Waylon song on vinyl I’m a back roads sinner at a tent revival She believes in me like she believes her bible And loves me like Jesus does
4. “I Found You,” by BeBe and CeCe Winans From the album: Still, 2009
When I found you, I found somebody who cares When I found you, found my most intimate prayer When I found you, I found what every heart dreams of When I found
5. “Bread and Wine,” by Josh Garrels From the album: Love & War & The Sea in Between, 2011
If I fall, I fall alone, but two can help to bear the load A threefold chord is hard to break All I have I give to you if you will share your sorrows too Then joy will be the crown upon our heads, my friend
6. “Order My Steps,” by Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir From the album: Favorite Song of All, 1996
Order my steps in Your word dear Lord Lead me, guide me every day Send Your anointing, Father I pray
Sweet Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
If you are into fun songs or want to underline some special feat related to your relationship, you can choose alternative wedding songs. Here are some ideas.
1. “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder From the album: Songs in the Key of Life, 1976
Isn’t she pretty Truly the angel’s best Boy, I’m so happy We have been heaven blessed
2. “Heartbeats,” by José González From the album: Veneer, 2005
Ten days of perfect tunes The colors red and blue We had a promise made We were in love
3. “Crazy Love” by Van Morrison From the album: Moondance, 1970
I can hear her heart beat for a thousand miles And the heavens open every time she smiles And when I come to her that’s where I belong Yet I’m running to her like a river’s song She give me love, love, love, love, crazy love
4. “Come Away with Me,” by Norah Jones From the album: Come Away with Me, 2002
Come away with me and we’ll kiss On a mountaintop Come away with me And I’ll never stop loving you
5. “Can’t Help Falling in Love,” by Ingrid Michaelson From the album: Wanting for Love’s Unhinged Acceptance, 2008
Wise men say Only fools rush in But I can’t help falling in love with you Shall I stay/Would it be a sin? But I can’t help falling in love with you
6. “Your Song,” by Elton John From the album: Elton John, 1970
And you can tell everybody this is your song It may be quite simple but now that it’s done I hope you don’t mind/I hope you don’t mind That I put down in words How wonderful life is while you’re in the world
Unique Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
Finally, here are some ideas on how to get creative when choosing the song for your big day’s walk.
1. “Stand by Me,” by Ben E. King From the album: Don’t Play That Song! 1961
If the sky that we look upon Should tumble and fall Or the mountain should crumble to the sea I won’t cry, I won’t cry No, I won’t shed a tear Just as long as you stand, stand by me
2. “First Day of My Life,” by Bright Eyes From the album: I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning, 2005
Remember the time you drove all night Just to meet me in the morning? And I thought it was strange, you said everything changed You felt as if you just woke up
3. “1+1,” by Beyonce From the album: 4, 2011
Baby we ain’t nothing but love And darling you got enough for the both of us, ooh Make love to me when my days look low Pull me in close and don’t let me go
4. “Home,” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros From the album: Up from Below, 2009
Moats and boats and waterfalls Alleyways and pay phone calls I’ve been everywhere with you That’s true, laugh until we think we’ll die Barefoot on a summer night Never could be sweeter than with you
5. “You’ve Got the Love,” by Florence and the Machine From the album: You’ve Got the Love, 2009
Sometimes it seems the going is just too rough And things go wrong no matter what I do Now and then it feels that life is just too much But you’ve got the love I need To see me through
Best Songs to Walk Down the Aisle to
We’re not so sure that the definition of “best” is universal considering different people have different tastes, but here are some suggestions that are definitely popular.
1. “Make You Feel My Love” performed by Adele From the album: 19, 2008
When the evening shadows and the stars appear And there is no one there to dry your tears I could hold you for a million years To make you feel my love
2. “What a Wonderful World,” by Louis Armstrong From the album: Louis Armstrong’s All-Time Greatest Hits, 1990
I see trees of green, red roses too I see them bloom for me and you And I think to myself What a wonderful world
3. “Hallelujah,” by Pentatonix From the album: A Pentatonix Christmas, 2016
Well baby, I’ve been here before I’ve seen this room and I’ve walked this floor I used to live alone before I knew ya And I’ve seen your flag on the marble arch And love is not a victory march It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah
4. “Over the Rainbow,” by Israel Kamakawiwo’Ole From the album: Alone in IZ World, 2001
Somewhere over the rainbow…way up high And the dreams that you dream of once in a lullaby Somewhere over the rainbow blue birds fly And the dreams that you dream of, really do come true
5. “You Are the Best Thing,” by Ray LaMontagne From the album: Gossip in the Grain, 2009
Baby, we’ve come a long way And baby you know I hope and I pray That you believe me When I say this love will never fade away
6. “A Thousand Years,” by Christina Perri From the album: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1, 2011
Time stands still Beauty in all she is I will be brave I will not let anything, take away What’s standing in front of me Every breath, every hour has come to this
As you can see, the limit does not exist when it comes to wedding songs. Get creative and pick ones that make you and your future spouse smile. Do you want to entertain your guests? What do you want to demonstrate? Love? Fun? Unity? Something altogether different? Use the answer as guidelines if you’re having trouble deciding on one song.