By Lauren Witonsky
If you’re reading this, you’ve probably been asked to officiate a wedding. Or, maybe you’re the one getting married (um, congrats!) in which case, you need to find the best vendors for your big day, officiant included. We gotchu. To make your job a little bit easier, we’ve rounded up the most emotional, inspiring, and hilarious officiant speeches in all the land.
1. Melissa + Matt by Embee Videography. It’s easy for couples to fall head over heels for each other while sharing extraordinary moments together. (Just ask a Bachelor contestant!) Melissa and Matt’s officiant has the best advice for keeping love alive long past those exiting first few dates. “Love the ordinary.” He continues, “love making dinner, love going shopping, taking a walk together. Ironically, if you love the ordinary, you can make some of your days extraordinary.”
2. Marianna + Kellen by Rodrigo Zadro. If you’re having trouble starting off your officiant speech, try asking each partner a few questions about their relationship and what makes it special to them. Ahead of their wedding day, Marianna and Kellen’s officiant asked the bride and groom the one thing they love most about each other. During the ceremony, he revealed their answers—their reaction to this sweet surprise is so fun to watch.
3. Michelle + Sean by IZ Cinema. For the right couple, pop culture references can be a great #OfficiantHack to have in your back pocket. Michelle and Sean’s officiant surprised the bride with a line from The Office character Jim Halpert, who falls in love with with his co-worker Pam: “There’s only one thing that outweighs every other concern. One thing that will make you give up on everything you thought you knew. Every instinct, every rational calculation. Love. No matter what happens, you got to forget about all the other stuff.” This nod to the charmingly relatable TV couple was super special for Office fans Michelle and Sean.
4. Matt + Justin by Films By J. Matt and Justin’s officiant begins the ceremony with a powerful message that directly addresses LGBTQ couples. “If I can be a representative of the Episcopal Church, I think we owe you, the LGBTQ community, an apology. Because it’s too late, it’s been too slow, and I think that you have taught us how to be a better church.” The officiant’s honesty and humility is inspiring — moving is an understatement.
5. Brittney + Joedy by For The Honor Productions. Looking for a way to personalize the ceremony? Get creative! From traditional rituals, like lighting a candle, to modern rituals, like creating a time capsule (to open on your anniversary!), there are endless ways to symbolize that everlasting bond up at the altar. Since this bride’s grandmother officiated this ceremony, she actually participated in the couple’s ritual by tying their hands together as they shared their first prayer. Is this not the sweetest thing you’ve ever seen? 😍
6. Morgan + Gui by Kemari Lyn Films. When deciding on who you want to officiant your wedding, don’t let traditions keep you from creating the experience you want to have on your big day. Instead of picking just one officiant, this bride asked her dad—a pastor—to be their second officiant! She writes that he even “prayed a special prayer welcoming my husband to our family.” Watch this proud poppa up at the altar as he co-leads the ceremony.
7. May + Mitch by Zest Kauai. Elopement weddings call for an officiant that is able to make the couple feel super comfortable — it’s only the three of you up at the altar, after all! May and Mitch searched high and low for an officiant in Kauai. It wasn’t until they saw a bunch of wedding videos with Kelvin Ho happily cracking coconuts throughout his speech that they knew they found their guy. His happy, easy-going personality totally sold them. Watching Kelvin perform his seashell hand-washing ritual on top of a Hawaiian cliff for major ceremony inspiration.
8. Kaylee + Jason by Ricker Films. One way to think about your officiant speech is like ten minutes of amazing life advice. Kaylee and Jason’s officiant gave a speech that could basically be pinned to every quote board on Pinterest. “There’s a time in your life when you begin to measure time in terms of decades. When you look back upon them, you realize that your time upon this earth is really short, and so each moment that you are given on this earth is a time to celebrate.” Well said.
9. Erika + Heath by The Quail + The Dove. Find your inner stand-up comedian and work the room with various LOLs. Thinking the officiant’s romantic remarks were coming to a close, Heath gets ready to kiss his bride—and totally gets called out. While his eagerness is beyond adorable, the way Erika and Heath’s officiant playfully teases the couple will have you tears.
10. Sophie + Josh by Image Flow Productions. This couple’s wedding was officiated by Elvis. Alright, FINE. An Elvis impersonator, but still. If you aren’t yet sold on The King, just wait until you hear his clever song references during the ceremony. Lucky for us, what happens in Vegas…stays recorded on video to be watched over and over again.
Looking for more wedding ideas & inspiration? Watch some of our most popular videos and view their wedding details to get more ideas:
or watch the films that won our 2018 Wedding Film Awards for more inspiration!